FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CANPA (the Caribbean Alliance of Psychological Associations) announces the election of its new
Executive Committee for 2016-2018 terms.
During the 2016 Caribbean Regional Conference of Psychology (CRCP2016) in Port au Prince Haiti, the sponsoring organization, CANPA, held its biannual general elections for the offices of President Elect, Vice President, and vacant Executive Committee positions. The 2017 CANPA Executive Committee includes:
- Omowale Amuleru-Marshall, PhD, St. Georges University, Guyana / Grenada, President
- Guillermo Bernal, PhD, University of Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico, President-Elect
- Guerda Nicolas, PhD, University of Miami, Haiti/United States, Secretary-General
- Rita Dudley-Grant, PhD MPH ABPP, Virgin Islands Beh. Services, US Virgin Islands, Treasurer
- Ava Thompson, PhD, College of the Bahamas, The Bahamas, Past President
- Ishtar Govia, PhD, University of the West Indies, Jamaica/Trinidad & Tobago, Member at Large
- Donna Maria Maynard, PhD, University of the West Indies, Barbados, Member at Large
- Margaret Barnett, PhD, Jamaica, Member at Large
- Roberto Coral Russo, PhD, University of Havana, Cuba, Member at Large
- Jennifer Deanne Ford, PhD, Chair Presidents and Elders Council, Ex Officio
- Merry Bullock, PhD, Chair, International Committee, Ex Officio
CANPA is the Caribbean Alliance of National Psychological Associations. Launched in 2013, it is organized to advance psychological knowledge, research, skills and practice in the service of Caribbean well-being and development, while addressing the professional interests of psychological practitioners, academics and researchers.
CANPA's major initiatives for 2017 include fostering development and communication among associations of psychology in the Caribbean region, developing publication outlets for scholarly psychology works relevant to Caribbean well-being, supporting the growth of psychology programmes and the regulation of psychology, and fostering discussion on psychologically relevant topics throughout the region. Specific initiatives include developing CANPA's committee structure, solidifying membership, hosting a biennial conference (CRCP) in the Caribbean, holding a regional symposium in Guyana, and developing and promoting regional cooperation and collaboration.
CANPA's next major conference will be in 2018 – CRCP2018 will be held November 12-16, 2018,in Havana, Cuba.