Developing public awareness and health promotion campaigns:
- Ensuring accurate information from valid sources regarding changing behavior.
- Raising awareness while avoiding crippling fear messages that lead to denial and stigmatization.
- Promoting self-efficacy and the skills for prevention in all messaging.
- Promoting accurate risk assessment (context, age, stage, gender, etc.).
- Promoting culturally appropriate messages that preempt resistance to uptake.
- Debunking myths.
- Highlighting the important role of influential people as decision makers and messengers.
- Emphasizing critical need for coordination and collaboration.